Deer Outreach Specialist
Position Location: This is a full-time, home-based position. Must reside in the northern half of Missouri.
Position Description: The National Deer Association (NDA) is seeking a qualified, self-motivated, and outgoing individual to serve as a Deer Outreach Specialist to:
- Educate landowners and assist Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) staff with facilitation of the Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) in northern Missouri.
- Provide guidance to landowners on conducting deer population surveys or other data collection efforts to meet DMAP enrollment requirements.
- Work with private landowners to establish and support wildlife management cooperatives in northern Missouri.
- Conduct habitat management trainings for private landowners and help coordinate private land assistance programs with MDC staff.
- Coordinate and assist with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) sampling trainings for landowners and deer hunters in northern Missouri.
- Promote hunter recruitment (R3) and mentoring initiatives from NDA and MDC.
- Participate in projects to promote wildlife conservation, conservation education and Missouri’s hunting heritage.
- Increase awareness of NDA by recruiting new members and sponsors.
- Promote both NDA’s programs and conservation partner programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife or related natural resource field.
- Experience and working knowledge of deer hunting, deer management, and habitat management.
- Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to engage and relate with hunters and land managers.
- Ability to organize and coordinate educational events.
- Well-developed written and verbal communications skills.
- Sound computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Willingness to travel and work outside normal business hours.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Maintain close working relationship with MDC Private Land Conservationists and Private Lands Deer Biologist. Provide monthly updates on current activities and attend regional staff meetings whenever possible.
- Assist with enrolling interested parties into DMAP.
- Develop landowner cooperative newsletter for distribution at least twice per year.
- Conduct annual statewide survey for cooperative participants.
- Organize meetings on-demand for wildlife management cooperative leaders.
- Host and assist with NDA Field to Fork events annually.
- Maintain close working relationship with other state and national NDA employees.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include competitive health insurance, vacation, retirement, paid holidays, and flexible working arrangements.
Application Process: Interested persons should forward a resume, cover letter, and three references to: Deer Outreach Specialist Search Committee, National Deer Association, P.O. Box 160, Bogart, GA 30622; or can be emailed to Matt Ross.
Application Deadline: December 3, 2020
The National Deer Association (NDA) is offering a six-month internship that will run from January 1 to June 30, 2021. The intern will work with the Conservation Department on research, education, advocacy, grant writing and/or certification program issues.
The selected individual will assist the Conservation Department on identifying research funding opportunities, developing educational materials, engaging in legislative efforts, and/or helping with NDA’s certification programs.
Important items to note about the internship include:
- This is an unpaid internship, but NDA will cooperate with universities/colleges that offer credit for intern programs. The intern must make all arrangements for receiving academic credit.
- The intern will work from home and provide 5-10 hours of work per week during the internship period.
- NDA will provide the intern with experience in the wildlife field and educational opportunities.
To apply for the internship, please send a one-page cover letter and one-page resume to Kip Adams, NDA Chief Conservation Officer, by December 7, 2020.
The National Deer Association is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on age, gender, race, sexual orientation or religion.